Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mexico...long overdue!






Summer is here and has been here for a while, and it has been amazing.
I went to Mexico just a few weeks after school was out for me, and that trip was one that will forever change my life. I traveled with Salem Presbytery to Chiapas, Mexico, and we stayed in a tiny village for 8 days in the middle of what most would consider to be a jungle, providing health care for those in need. I can never describe to you in words what I experienced that week, and the pictures that were taken that week do not even come close to doing the trip justice, but here are some of them anyway!
The first picture was taken at the Bible College in Ocosingo where we stayed the first night. It was taken that morning from the roof.
Second picture: the surroundings were beautiful! We were really in the middle of nowhere.
Third picture: Holly Mills playing with a little baby girl during the week. I think this baby was one of our patients.
The fourth picture shows you what it did every afternoon while we were there. Definitely a rain storm like no other!

Life in the states after such a trip definitely seemed luxurious, but yet there is an emptiness that a lot of people experience when they return, and I felt this as well. I think in my particular case it is because I had such an amazing trip and I really felt like I was being God's hands for that week, and when I came back, that feeling faded quickly. I really missed my family and friends and I thought I was ready to come home, but I miss Mexico even now!

I think everyone should take a trip like that at some point, and really step out of your so-called "comfort zone" to see where you will be led. It takes a leap of faith to get you there, along with a few plane rides, but you will never regret it.