Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I have been VERY busy lately with nursing school! I am currently in my pediatrics rotation, and I have never felt more like I belonged somewhere ...it is simply amazing. I have clinical at Brenner Children's Hospital in Winston on both the General Peds floor and the Hematology/Oncology Peds floor, and they are equally awesome.
Last week I had the privilage of going to the operating room with my assigned patient, and although I almost passed out due to not having enough to eat and getting WAY too hot in the O.R.(think incission+empty stomach+hot=not so good!), it was an experience that I would not have passed up for the world. My first thought was "remind me to never be an OR nurse," that is, until I learned that resident surgeons pass out all the time on their first day, so I felt a lot better after that! :)
The nurses are amazing, the doctors actually explain things to you(since its a teaching hospital), and it has been an over-all amazing experience. The best part of all is my teacher. Not trying to be a suck up or anything, but my friends and I all agree- she is one of the most inspiring people we have ever met and the best teacher you can ask for. She obviously loves what she does, and she cares about her students individually...as people...which I have found is few and far between in college instructors. There is no doubt in my mind, thanks to her, that I DO want to be a pediatric nurse "when I grow up." :)


Here is a picture of my clinical group L-R: Carrie, Lauren, Emily, Erika, Rebecca, Amanda, Kelli, and me...I could not have asked for a better group!