As most of you probably know, I went to Chiapas, Mexico on a medical mission trip with Salem Presbytery last May. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and I get to go again this year! We will be leaving May 23rd and returning on May 31st (my birthday!).
My packing list is unreal. I started early this year because I found myself packing last minute for last year's trip, and although I did not forget anything important, my nerves were a wreck. Not only was I going out of the country for the first time, but once I got out of the country we would be traveling for hours and hours on dirt roads through the mountains to reach the tiny village of Yax, the most remote place I have ever been in my entire life. I remember vividly riding in the van through these twisty, dirt roads and wondering if we would make it, and I was also constantly thinking of things I may have forgotten to pack and wondering what I would do without them since it was obvious that they would not be replaceable in this other world I had crossed over to. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my experience there, and the remoteness and simplicity of the lifestyle that I was able to live there was incredible. It was actually kind of a culture shock when I returned home to the US and suddenly had all the things I was used to again. That was my least favorite part of the whole trip.
So, I just made a packing list today, so I can make sure I think of every little thing that I might need and so that maybe my nerves will not be such a mess when I depart.
I am so excited!
Oh and P.S....I am only 2 weeks away from being a SENIOR! HOORAY!
