Swallows are a traditional tattoo for sailors. It was used to show how many miles the sailor had traveled. Each swallow stood for five thousand miles, and they usually come in pairs. I chose to only get one swallow...to symbolize that I have done a lot in my life thus far, but that I have so much more growing to do and so many more things that I want to accomplish. I guess that's kind of a twist on the original meaning, but that's what makes it my own :)
Swallows also carry the meaning of hope. Sailors would begin to see swallows when they were close to land.
This specific type of bird often symbolizes love and loyalty to your family, which is probably the main reason I chose this for my tattoo. The reason for this symbolism is because no matter where a swallow travels, it always returns home. According to what I have read, it is one of the only birds that does this. Obviously my family is VERY important to me!
I love my tattoo...and all the meaning behind it!
My tattoo is by Ashley at Ink Well Tattoos in Winston Salem...she did an amazing job on my custom swallow!
